Starting A Business

Home / Starting A Business

Starting A Business

Step One
Decide what legal structure you would like to have: A) Sole Proprietor, B) Partnership C) Corporation (C or S) d) LLC (Limited Liability Company). Lawyers and doctors may form a Professional Association (PA). For your convenience, all forms can be found on-line at

Step Two
If you choose to use a name other than your own or that of a corporation (if you choose to create one), then you must obtain a Fictitious Name Certification (DBA). It is NOT necessary to obtain a Fictitious Name. You may also trade mark the name in the State of Florida, nationally and/or internationally. The action applies to all forms of ownerships: corporations, LLC’s, sole proprietorships and partnerships.

Step Three
Check the zoning, parking and other regulations with the City of Doral Planning and Zoning Department before signing a contract with the leasing agent. For businesses moving into an existing space that are planning interior remodeling be sure to check with the building department for a building permit. You may also be required to obtain additional licenses and permits from Miami-Dade Fire and DERM (Department of Environmental Resources). These include, a Business Tax Receipt  and a Certificate of Use Application. Follow this Checklist

Step Four
You may be required to obtain special permits or licenses. As a new business, you may be required by the City to obtain additional permits from the State or other entities. To determine the appropriate licensing department for your new business visit In an effort to help businesses begin construction work sooner and accelerate the plan review process, the City of Doral Building Department offers Early Start Permitting and Fire/DERM Concurrent Plan Reviews. For more information, please visit the City’s web site under the Building Department section or contact the Building Department. 

Step Five
Every business needs to obtain a Local Business Tax Receipt (Occupational License) and a Certificate of Use regardless of how small and even if it is in your home. If your business is home based you must also fill out a home based business affidavit and if you live in an apartment complex that has an association you must bring a letter from the association stating that they approve your home based business. Also check out additional items that are needed to apply for your LBT and CU (all forms can be found in our website under planning and zoning). Every business is also required to obtain a Miami-Dade County Occupational License. These requirements are enforced by the City of Doral Code Compliance Department.

Although you do not need an attorney to start a business, it is recommended to seek counsel if needed.




Comments are closed.