Coronavirus Covid-19 Parents Guide
Due to increased concern in the community about the spread of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), Miami-Dade County Public Schools has developed this guide so that parents/guardians have the correct information regarding what the virus is, how to protect yourself and your child, and what to do if you suspect a possible case.
The COVID-19 is a new respiratory virus originated in Wuhan, Hubel Province China. It is being closely monitored by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Reported illnesses of COVID-19 have ranged from infected individuals with little or no symptoms to individuals who are severely ill and dying. Public health officials are unclear as to how COVID-19 spreads from person to person.
What You Should Know?
The symptoms of COVID-19 Coronavirus include mild to severe respiratory illness with:
• Difficulty breathing
Having these symptoms alone does not mean that someone has the virus. Symptoms may appear in as few as two days or as long as 14 days after exposure. According to the CDC, the greatest risk of infection is for individuals who have traveled to Wuhan China.
These symptoms mimic flu-like symptoms and there are currently no specific treatments for COVID-19. However, preventive measures for the COVID-19 are similar to other respiratory viruses such as the flu.
What are flu symptoms?
Flu symptoms can include a cough, sore throat, fever, runny or stuffy nose, body aches, headaches, chills, feeling tired and may include vomiting and diarrhea. Some people with the flu may not experience all these symptoms.
What if my child has the symptoms of the Flu or Corona Virus?
• You should contact your healthcare provider immediately. Don’t wait for symptoms to worsen!
• Parents/guardians are encouraged to keep children home when sick.
What are some ways I can protect my child against the Coronavirus?
• According to the CDC, proper handwashing with soap and water is one of the best ways to
• Demonstrate proper handwashing for 20 seconds. Have your child visit https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/index.html to watch a video on proper handwashing.
• Demonstrate to your child how to cover their nose and mouth with a tissue when coughing or sneezing. They should throw the tissue away after use and wash their hands. If a tissue is not available, THEY SHOULD NOT USE THEIR HANDS. They should cover their mouth and nose with their sleeve.
• Children should avoid touching their eyes, nose, or mouth. Germs spread this way.
• If possible, avoid people who are sick.
• Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces
For additional questions or concerns regarding the COVID-19, parents/guardians can call 311. or contact https://www.cdc.gov/